For membership questions please contact:
District Membership Chairman: Raymond Seth III
2016 Unit Membership Chair
The Boy Scouts of America is a membership program and every family in your neighborhood should have the opportunity to benefit from Scouting.
• Complete adult application, registering as Unit Membership Chair
• Foster a culture of year-round recruiting in your unit.
• At your monthly unit committee meeting, discuss membership goals and retention.
• Ensure your unit does summer activities to keep Scouts connected.
• Host a back to the unit event in late summer with school about to start.
• Twice annually, conduct recruitment events to ensure unit growth. This could be a spring and fall sign up night. Work with the District Membership Chairman and your District Executive to execute.
• Promote peer-to-peer recruitment.
• Provide Community Service to the schools you recruit from
• Ensure prompt delivery of applications and fees to the Scout Service Center
• Update and manage your unit’s pin at www.BeAScout.org
• Explore: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Membership/Youth_Recruitment/Membership_Chairman/cubscout.aspx
• Attend your District’s Build an Adventure Sign Up Night Kickoff
• Prep a marketing plan for your unit’s sign up night
• Make sure your unit has an impressive presence at your school’s open house/meet the teacher
• Promote your sign up nights on social media and your charter organization
• During the actual sign up nights, organize a fun, interactive activity for the new boys, so the parents can focus on the materials
• Within a week of your sign up night, host a fun, informative parent orientation to further welcome families and recruit leaders
Above all else, while using the Scout Oath and Law as a foundation, the goal of the Unit Membership Chair is to keep Scouting alive and well in your unit.